Forum Energy Technologies (FET) is a global oilfield products company, serving the subsea, drilling, completion, production and infrastructure sectors of the oil and natural gas industry. The Company’s products include highly engineered capital equipment as well as products that are consumed in the drilling, well construction, production and transportation of oil and natural gas. Forum is headquartered in Houston, TX with manufacturing and distribution facilities strategically located around the globe.
The Tax Specialist role is a member of the tax team and reports to the Indirect Tax Manager. The Tax Specialist and is responsible for preparing, reviewing, and filing US sales tax returns. The ideal candidate is detail oriented with strong working knowledge of excel. The position works closely with other functions including accounting, billing, and sales. They should be able to think analytically and look for areas of process improvement.
- Gather and analyze data for monthly compliance
- File monthly returns
- Make sales tax payments once approved
- Work with collections group to address unpaid/short-paid invoices where sales tax is incorrect
- Issue tax only credit invoices to resolve sales tax issues, when needed
- File amended sales tax returns to claim back taxes paid due to errors on invoices
- Assist with issuing exemption certificates to vendors
- Advise on exemption / resale certificates received from customers if the TSC has questions
- Track down export documentation for exported sales where no exemption certificate is provided
- Assist with testing Avalara engine for any implementations or upgrades
- Assist with testing any new processes that impact tax fields or sales tax computations on orders/quotes/invoices
- Assist with maintaining exemption certificates in Sovos (electronic repository)
- Address sales tax audit findings under the direction of the Indirect Tax Manger
- 3-5 years applicable experience.
- Experience with Microsoft Dynamics Navision or Business Central is a plus
- Experience with Avalara Avatax is a plus
- Proficient in Microsoft Suite
- Excellent organization and time management skills.
- Ability to work effectively as a team and prioritize workload with limited supervision.
- Bachelor’s degree preferred