Sets-up and operates special purpose equipment, conventional (lathe and/or mill), and/or numerical control (NC) machines and machining centers for fabrication of metallic and nonmetallic parts that hold to the high quality machine standards required within the organization. Reads and interprets blueprints, sketches, drawings, manuals, specifications, or sample parts to determine dimensions and tolerances of finished work pieces, sequence of operations and setup requirements. Starts and observes machine operation to detect malfunctions or out-of-tolerance machining, and adjusts machine controls as required. Must be able to select, align, and secure holding fixtures, cutting tools, attachments, accessories, and materials on machines such as mills, lathes, jig borers, grinders, and shapers. Must demonstrate an advanced skill level (indicate part, turn OD’s, and qualify ID and OD) on at least four machines; CNC mill, CNC lathe, and NC (figure feed rates), manual mill, brouch, drill press, rework lathe/press lathe.
- Review print & work order.
- Attach fixture to machine and secure part.
- Position tools per setup instructions.
- Input program or program machine if necessary.
- Operate machine to produce part.
- Measures work piece and adjust offset as required.
- Stamp or engrave necessary information on part.
- Notify supervisor or lead man of nonconforming product.
- Deburr parts as necessary.
- Complete work order documentation & first piece inspection.
- Proof program & edit as necessary.
- Optimize tooling & programs to increase production.
- Check calibration on QC instruments.
- Operate forklift as needed.
- Ability to read and interpret documents such as blueprints, safety rules, operating and maintenance instructions, and procedure manuals.
- Must have working knowledge of geometric dimensioning and tolerancing (GD & T).
- Ability to apply basic concepts of algebra and geometry.
- Ability to calculate and set controls to regulate machining factors such as speed, feed, coolant flow, depth and angle of cut, or enter commands to retrieve, input, edit computerized machine control media or the use of conventional machining techniques (i.e.: digital readout and use of dials).
- High School Diploma or equivalent.
- 3+ years of related experience or equivalent combination of education and experience.
- Experienced (Non-Manager)
- High School
- 0 - 10%