Sand Management System
Sand from reservoir formations and proppant return is inevitable during oil and gas drilling, and it is estimated that more than half of wells require some form of sand management or sand control during operation. Wells with electric submersible pumps (ESPs) can be severely damaged by frac sand and other residual solids. This is especially true for unconventional well completions where multi-stage fracking sand backs up during production to cause pump erosion, sand accumulation, plugging, electrical/mechanical stresses and post-shutdown pump failures.
Many wells produce substantial amounts of sand and solids, making fallback the main cause of ESP failure in unconventional wells. Solids frequently trip or stop pumps during power failure, pump off and shutdown situations. Whenever a pump stops, previously pumped sand falls back and builds up. Restarting sand-plugged pumps leads to everything from damaged upper stages to burning motors, destroying the pumps and creating expensive workovers.
Many sand control completions use sand screens to filter solids at the end of the production strings. Variable grain sizes within a reservoir mean that even a carefully selected screen can only partially filter most of the grains. Sand screens quickly plug and erode, requiring lengthy sections downhole to ensure adequate performance. As a result, traditional sand screening options are time-consuming and expensive prospects.
In 2017, Forum acquired MultiLift’s field-proven sand management system and now offers the ultimate proactive sand control tools for the oil and gas industry. SandGuard™ and Cyclone™ ESP provide an essential over-and-under sand protection system to protect ESPs and radically improve well performance.
SandGuard is a unique multi-lift solution from FET that makes it possible to eliminate potential factors that lead to ESP failures.
SandGuard is a revolutionary technology that captures and quarantines fallback sand to keep pump restarts trouble-free. Proven through thousands of installations, SandGuard has demonstrated enormous increases in ESP run times in sandy wells.
SandGuard supports multiple applications such as ESP installations, horizontal or deviated oil wells, and offshore or onshore wells.
Benefits of Using SandGuard
- Improves ESP life up to 1,200 percent
- Protects pumps from sand fallback via continuous auto-flush feature
- Captures all sand and debris falling onto pumps after shutdown, creating a clean start every time
- Provides ESPs with softer starts that significantly improve pump life
- Eliminates communication with annulus, resulting in zero risk of failure or fluid recirculation
- Offers compatibility with all ESP-produced flow rates
- Withstands the harshest downhole environments
- Offers standard or custom connections to production tubing
Essential Features of Using SandGuard
When it comes to Forum Energy Technologies’ sand management system, it is hard to top SandGuard. It is a perfect solution to capture the fallback of solids and sand and then separate it from the pump.
Due toits flushable design, our clients continue to commendits cleanable features that pave the way for repeated use. You can use SandGuard for multiple configurations and ensure get a fitting for a specific casing size. And despite the size, you can count on the effectiveness of SandGuard.
What Makes SandGuard So Unique
SandGuard captures the essence of the Forum Multilift sand management system and offers advanced sand control. SandGuard is a revolutionary piece of technology that quarantines and captures fallback sand to ensure the pump restarts without any issues.
After thousands of installations, it has become clear that SandGuard can significantly speed up run times for sand wells. Unlike other similar products in the market, the installation of SandGuard is simple and comes down to the pump discharge.
Practical Validation of SandGuard
This case study case study unearths how effectively and dramatically SandGuard managed to increase the ESP runtime for Mississippian Lime wells as opposed to unprotected wells. With over 3,000 installations, data highlighted that SandGuard can accelerate the ESP life by over 1,200%.
From impressive design to the automated self-flushing feature, SandGuard exceeds user expectations. Contact us to learn more information about SandGuard and how you can reap its benefits.
Cyclone ESP leverages proven vortex technology as part of a superior sand protection system. Applicable to onshore, offshore, deviated or horizontal wells, it prevents sand damage, extends pump run life and dramatically lowers lease operating expenses.
With one size for all flow rates, Cyclone easily retrofits to any ESP well. Because it rests directly below the pump, installation requires no downhole preparation. The high-efficiency centrifugal action separates a wider range of grain size than sand screens, sending de-sanded fluid to the pump and solids to a tailpipe below. With special metallurgical construction and no moving parts, Cyclone’s vortex technology avoids the erosion and plugging issues of traditional sand screens to provide exceptional sand control.
Features and Benefits
- Protects ESPs from sand damage.
- Extends run life to dramatically lower lease operating expenses.
- Minimizes or eliminates costly workovers, ESP replacements and lost production.
- Installs easily, featuring high reusability and one-size-fits-all casing weights.
- Allows field change of rubber elements.
- Enables quick change and rerun without leaving rig floor.
- Eliminates need to rotate motor or tailpipe.
Forum Multilift Solution’s Pump Saver protects downhole rod lifted pumps by separating sand prior to entering the rod lift system.
- Multiple connections and configurations available for virtually all Rodlift applications and low flow ESP applications
- Configured for optimal sand separation in low flow applications and for intermittent flow (i.e. Rod lift applications)
- Uniquely designed to minimize erosion and maximize longevity of artificial lift equipment
- Prevents rod pump wear by reducing sand laden fluid from entering rod pump
- Extends rod pump life and minimizes costly workovers caused by production of sand laden fluid
- Improves up-time and minimizes lost production
- Rod lift installations
- Onshore wells
- Sand laden reservoirs or hydraulically fractured wells
- Deviated or horizontal oil or gas wells
Pump Saver Plus
Forum Multilift Solution’s Pump Saver Plus is designed to be installed with and positioned below a rod pump, protecting it from the harmful effects of sand and gas intake.
- Separate gas and sand without any impact or effect on Rod Pump function
- Negligible pressure drop through the tool
- No sand re-circulation
- Avoid costly workovers due to gas lock and sand obstruction
- Improved Rod Pump efficiency
- Prolonged run-life
- Enhanced production and operating envelope
- Prevention of gas lock, increasing uptime and production
- Prevention of abrasive wear and mechanical failure reducing workover and equipment costs
- Significant Increased run life of down hole pump and rod integrity
- No moving components reducing possibility of failure
- Rod-lift applications up to 570 barrels of fluid per day
- High abrasive conditions
- High GOR wells